Sunday, June 29, 2008

But we would eat Kraft dinners, we'd just eat more.

So, Shelton's two new friends were in our condo around dinnertime, so I decided to feed them. My question seemed simple enough, "Do you girls like macaroni and cheese?"

Their response, "What's macaroni and cheese?"

I stood there for a second, with no idea how to respond to this question. First of all, what sort of country is this that 6 and 8 year old girls don't know what macaroni and cheese is? Secondly, how do you answer a question that already includes the answer as part of the question? It's cheese and macaroni, but not necessarily in that order, except the macaroni and cheese that I'm referring to doesn't exactly have cheese in it.

Our kids eat macaroni and cheese at least twice a week. Food purists would tell you that macaroni and cheese is a SIDE and not a MAIN COURSE. These people are probably elitists and possibly even tenured university professors and can therefore be dismissed as fey and as having more education than sense.

When I was younger, my mom would go out of town occasionally, leaving me to the mercy of my father's gastronomic atrocities. He put ham cubes in the macaroni and cheese.

No comments: