Saturday, June 21, 2008

Summer Solstice - THE LONGEST DAY OF THE YEAR

Our flight to Salt Lake City (first leg) left the Atlanta airport at 10:55am, so we had a car service scheduled to come pick us up at 7:00am because I am OCD about being early to the airport.

Jen and I awoke at 5:30. That's AM. We had packed the previous night, ensuring that each of the five bags that we were checking weighed just under 50 pounds, lest the airlines take one of our precious offspring in return for overweight baggage. If you're keeping score at home, and I assume you are, we have 5 bags to be checked, two car seats, my computer bag, Jen's carry-on, Jen's purse, and Shelton's backpack. All in all, well over 250 pounds of stuff that we are schlepping almost 3000 miles. I don't know what that is in kilometers, but I guess I should found out because, you know, METRIC SYSTEM!

I wish I had taken a picture of all the stuff we had.

The alarm went off at 5:30am. Jen informed me that she had been up until 2:30am paying bills and watching TV and piddling around. June 20, 2008, the day I take two kids, nearly everything we own, and a sleep deprived zombie to a semi-foreign country.

June 21st is Jen's birthday. By traveling to Vancouver, she gets an extra 3 hours to be 35!

It was at the airport that I finally decided to start taking pictures. That way, my wordiness can be broken up every now and then with some images, which will also give me something else to talk about. Anyway, AIRPORT!


The Boo wanted to wear his new Buzz Lightyear and Woody shirt for the third straight day, but the Atlanta airpost is very clear when it comes to traveling with hazardous materials. So, we negotiated him down to his Superman pajama top. We got about 100 "Hi, Superman!" comments. Hughston has taken to responding with "I'm Superman. I come in peace."

This is sometimes true and sometimes not.



This picture is taken approximately 8 seconds later, when I was informed that there would be no more pictures. This picture is taken about 1 second before Superman's peaceful intentions are cast to the wind, his fury sparked by the flash of the camera, defying his ban on photography. That isn't common red-eye from the flash, it's Superboo charging his heat vision.


Shelton actually does come in peace. Her only demands are pizza and M&Ms.

Next post: We get there!

1 comment:

Lisa Allen said...

Don't you just love the travel days? It took us 17 hours door to door to get to Calgary the first time. And...we took 6 bags, 3 carry ons, a purse, and Bill's computer bag! We completely feel for you guys! :-) Get ready to ship stuff home that you buy! I donated half of our stuff to SALVATION ARMY since we didn't have room in our luggage to bring it back home, and I still ended up shipping home a huge box! However, I'm a shopaholic, unlike Jen! HA!

Love, Lisa