Monday, June 23, 2008

In Canada, milk comes in bags.

So, Monday comes around and the business of living in Vancouver, rather than vacationing in Vancouver, starts up. While I was working in my tiny office with the great view, Jen took the kids to the Stanley Park aquarium. Since I wasn't there and only have pictures and Jen is off shopping for long sleeved shirts and milk, I'm going to make up what happened.


This is a bird. No one knows the name of it, but it's an interesting bird. You know how flamingos get their pink color from eating shellfish? This mystery bird's diet consists entirely of Twizzlers. In Canada, Twizzlers are called "Nibs" and they are far tastier than their American counterpart. I know, I had trouble believing that, too, because Twizzlers are awesome.


This seal has been indicted by a grand jury for removing people's feet and dragging them to shore all over Vancouver. Neighboring seals have described him as "quiet" and "standoffish."



At the Vancouver Aquarium, they take you to the bottom of the ocean in one of those little clear plastic helmets that the squirrel on Spongebob wears. They were running low because of the upcoming Olympics, so Shelton and Hughston had to share.

Shelton, Jen and Hughston also played on the playground and ate a picnic lunch in Stanley Park, but since I wasn't there and there aren't any pictures, let's just say that they met David Duchovny and Shelton learned to do a backflip off the swings.

After dinner, we decided to go for a walk down to the water. The weather has been amazing - about 68 to 70 degree during the day. I'm not good at converting to Centigrade, but I believe that's about Q%^ degrees. It cools off in the late afternoon, but, well, just look.


Shelton got right into this fountain. I had to adjust the colors in this picture to change her lips from blue to pink. I may be a bad parent who allows his kid to play in freezing cold water in a chilly Canadian city, but I'm good at Photoshop.





Hughston never quite made it into the water, but he was more than happy to strip to the waist in public. Throughout the video, you can see various Canadians walking around in semi-heavy coats.

I'll put this together for you, because I'm a fine narrator. My children are from Atlanta, where it is 98 degrees (that's 3.14159 degrees Centigrade I think) in June, and they are playing in a fountain. Canadians, who, according to legend, live in igloos with polar bears, are bundled up and huddling together for warmth.

Also, 98 Degrees is a pop band. They're from Los Angeles.

Interesting fact about Vancouver: The City of Vancouver was one of the first cities to declare that it is a Nuclear Weapons Free Zone in 1983. So, unlike the kids in Atlanta romping about in the summer months, Shelton and Hughston will not be happening upon nuclear weapons, possibly hurting themselves and millions of others. Jealous?

4 comments:

Carol B. said...

I love the blog! It is fun to experience your trip along with you via cyberspace. :) Love, Aunt Carol

Pop said...

I give up. If this doesn't work, I'll just have to ask someone.It's really great to share your trip with you. And the pictures are really good. Scott, who'd a'thunk that you are so entertaining. You must have inherited your way with words from somebody. You're. as good as your preacher brother but in a very different way. This is not a comparison- just a statement.
love,
Pop

Unknown said...

Bet you thought you would have more comments posted, huh. Well, maybe you're not blogstar you thought you were. Or perhaps readers are so engrossed in your writings and comedic wit, they dare not dilute the musings with their own drivel.

Keep em coming. It livens up summer afternoons at the office.

Lisa Allen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEN! I hope you had a great one!!!! 40 is just right around the corner! :-)

Love, Lisa