Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's dark.

It gets dark in Vancouver at about 10:30pm. I'm not sure when it gets light, but I do know that it's light at 5:15 in the morning, because that's when Hughston climbs in bed with Jen and me and decides to practice his stage whisper. "DADDY," he whispers deafeningly, "ARE YOU ASLEEP?"

This is the view from out balcony at night. You know when you go on vacation with your friends and you set up this picture of everyone and it's perfect and everyone is smiling and then you look at the picture later and some goof has snuck into the picture and it just ruins the entire thing and your memory of this perfect moment is forever spoiled because the image of that idiot in the picture is permanently seared into your brain?

Yeah. That's the HSBC building in the lower left hand corner of the picture.

I call the balcony the "porch" most of the time. This is because I can never escape the fact that I was born in Montgomery, Alabama.

Jen took the kids to Granville Island today. Shelton picked up two friends in the park yesterday. If it weren't for her, we would probably never meet anyone anymore. Shelton is named after one of my grandmothers. This turned out to be appropriate because both of them have no problem holding hour long conversations with complete strangers.


That's Shelton with her two new friends. All three of them are bitter now because they only got to spend 13 hours with each other today and weren't allowed to have a sleepover. Did I mention that they met yesterday?

Hughston got an ice cream cone, too. He shouted Jennifer down when she asked for a bite, but he had no problem at all feeding half of it to the pigeons. Kids are jerks.

Interesting Vancouver facts: The letter "Z" is pronounced "Zed." "Soccer" is pronounced "football." "Football" is pronounced "American football." "A bunch of grown men in ridiculous uniforms that would get destroyed by an average 4A high school in Georgia" is pronounced "Canadian football."

I would like to get credit for not stooping to making the obvious "Zed Zed Top" joke.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate Canadians, I hate this blog, and I hate you.

ps - the Blueberry filled fritters at Tim Horton's are the only thing I like about Canada. And by Canada, I mean you.

Lisa Allen said...

WOW! I feel like I'm there with you guys! Great blog, Scott! You are so good at this! Perhaps you should become a writer for a living! :-) I love Twizzlers/Nibs too! :-) Look for this Canadian food: Dad's Goody Rings. They are darn good cookies. They remind me of the GIRL SCOUT SAMOA cookies! I was addicted to them, sadly, so that's why I spent much of my time in Canada at the gym!

Love, Lisa
P.S. We all miss you guys!